you can convey the value of your offer to customers in a variety of ways, but the goal is the same: to reach an impressive part of the target audience and accompany customers on the way from getting to know your company to complete the deal. However, many still continue to order website promotion for a specific list of requests in the TOP and are limited to this. Considering that this is enough, and “site in the TOP” means “a lot of orders and the company’s success.”
Let’s figure out how the promotion takes place when paying for positions, what is not taken into account with this method, and how to promote more efficiently.
How is payment for site positions?
Usually, when moving through the list of requests, the work is structured as follows:
- a list of 10-50 requests is approved, often not the most profitable for the company,
- improvements are made only on the site pages where these requests lead,
- links are purchased (some also buy traffic),
- waiting for results about 3-5 months,
- see the result:
- the site entered the TOP-10 – a chance for success and orders!
- nothing happened – failure.
What is not taken into account when moving through a narrow list of requests
According to Yandex statistics, less than 20% of users use short queries in different categories. Let’s take an example:
In late May-early June 2016, requests using the phrase “plastic windows” left 963,622 people in Yandex. Specifically, the phrase “plastic windows” was used by 45778 people. And this is only 4.75%.
Expanding the list with wordy, but targeted queries in the areas of the customer’s business will lead to an increase in traffic and website visibility in search engines. In addition, these queries generate a higher percentage of orders as they are more specific. For example, “buy plastic windows in Novosibirsk” is a much more specific and conversion request than “plastic windows”. Just like “Buy a pink iPhone 6S in Novosibirsk”, it will most likely give a more realistic result than the “iPhone 6S” query.
At the same time, the rest of the pages remain unchanged, which affects the overall level of the ranking of the site by search engines: these pages are left without proper content and optimization, that is, most of the pages of the site bring only a small part of those visitors that it could receive from search engines.
The promotion company should work on the site as a whole, and not on sections or pages separately. Just like with an extended list of requests: we prioritize the customer’s business areas and fully optimize the site. Do not forget about the structure of the site, about its efficiency, since search engine robots now look not only at texts and technical indicators but also at behavioral factors – at the convenience of the site for the user.
However, if the contractor does not submit reports, referring to “unique techniques” or algorithms, then we can conclude that somewhere here the customer was deceived. Here, anatomically, such a service as “buying traffic” can appear – promotion for the sake of beautiful numbers. What will you end up with visits from bots or schoolchildren clicking on links for 40 kopecks?
The contractor submits a full report on changes in the code and purchased links, even if the customer is “far from the web”. If necessary – explains what has been changed and for what purpose, where the link was purchased, and why exactly there. In this case, promotion ceases to be a “dance with a tambourine around Yandex” and turns into a process that is understandable and useful for the customer.
4. Waiting for indexing is an inevitable but understandable step.
Yandex updates data on average in 7-14 days, some types of data, and once a month, Google is more efficient – in 3-5 days. First of all, the main pages are updated, but indexing of the internal pages of the site can take from 1 to 5 months. For each specific case, the timing may differ, but on average, search engines give the first reaction to the work carried out by SEO specialists in 1 month, then gradually showing the effect of the work and increasing (sometimes lowering) positions.
There are several dangers:
- The list of requests covers a small number of users, as a result, the traffic brought to the site is not significant and does not give a tangible result.
- Since the work with the site and its effectiveness was not particularly carried out, users both come and go. As a result, you are in the TOP, but … there is no result.
- There is always the possibility of not paying attention to the fine print in the contract or not giving it due importance. And there, under the “asterisk”, there can be hidden a coefficient by which the payment amount is multiplied when the promoted requests hit certain positions. For example, if the request is in the TOP-10, the client pays 300 rubles under the contract, if the link has moved to 5-4 lines, then the coefficient * 2 starts to apply, if it is * 3 to 3-1 lines. Thus, the cost of the request increases within the total amount under the contract. Be careful!
The site is optimized for a wide range of requests and fully realizes its potential to attract traffic. The site is optimized for both the search engine and the user. If you still pay for positions, each request has its own cost of being in the TOP, for example, you are told: “50 requests for 300 rubles.” The total monthly payment will be 15,000 rubles during the working period – 3-5 months. The payment should be fixed for all requests and positions in the TOP so that by the end of 3-5 months you do not pay your 15,000 for 1/3 of requests that are in the TOP-3 when the remaining 2/3 of requests are not in the TOP10.
5.2. The site did not go to the TOP.
The money is wasted and you end up with a site with several optimized pages to work on and on.
Then how to promote the site?
We have only one, but time-tested and empirical answer: complex.
- Promotion should be carried out both for short queries and long ones, for all useful pages of the site.
- The group of requests with the lowest priority should be processed in the same way as the highest, just in the established order.
- It is necessary to optimize the entire website, not individual pages or sections.
- If statistics show problems with user scripts, then you need to fix them. Up to changing the structure of the site. Why increase website traffic if users don’t understand how to work with it?
- The texts on the site are primarily for people, not for search engines.
- Use all available ways to promote – paid and free.
- Lead groups in social networks, post information in popular catalogs and other thematic resources.
- Look for your style, communicate with users, and be useful to them, then they will know about you, and come to your site.
So, what is next?
If, after the work is done, the site goes to the TOP, then “site support” begins in the TOP, expanding the list of promoted queries, and optimizing the rest of the site pages.
If not, then in an amicable way it is necessary to conduct an analysis, rewrite texts, revise internal and technical optimization, etc. – by the performer. The customer needs to constantly monitor whether the number of visits to the site is increasing (and is it sure the traffic is not winding up?), Whether the conversion is growing, whether they have begun to order from the site more often, and, in general, are these goals set in the metrics. Compare these data during the entire working period. When tracking traffic, don’t forget about seasonal changes, which are pronounced in many markets.
If in the TOP there are still only 50-60% of requests from the approved list, but the costs of promotion are not covered by the amounts that the site has begun to bring, then it is worth making a decision: should you continue to pay for the promotion of additional requests for greater coverage of visitors from search engines? Or is it more profitable and more promising to switch to another SEO company that provides services for integrated website promotion, where the promotion of these and many other additional requests will be included in the initial cost?