Cancellation of your reservation: return of your air ticket
Warning! This article is applicable to the general rules for the return of airline tickets adopted by airlines. If you want to find out about the rules for returning tickets due to the COVID-19 pandemic, read the article: Return of tickets and flights canceled due to COVID-19.
Most low-cost airlines sell non-refundable airline tickets for their cheap flights. With the exception of some clearly defined situations, which in most cases are limited to unpleasant circumstances such as the death of the passenger or a person closely associated with the passenger, low-cost airlines do not give refunds for air tickets sold.
In the event of the death of the passenger or a person having a first-degree relationship with the passenger, a death certificate must be provided to the agent who issued the air ticket in order to consider reimbursement.
In the event of the death of a passenger, when said passenger has paid for the airfare, a potential refund becomes an inheritance matter and can only be paid after a court ruling or settlement has been obtained.
If a passenger requests the restitution of an air ticket before the flight, the refund of airport taxes and charges is included, as these taxes and charges are not paid by the airline. However, in most cases, low-cost airlines do not refund such amounts as they generally charge an administrative fee for processing the request for a refund of fees and charges that is equal to the value of the fees and charges in question.
Can you return your air ticket due to illness?
Low-cost airlines provide airline ticket refunds only in specific situations. However, if you declare your inability to travel due to illness, your case should be considered individually. Even if the Terms and Conditions do not offer any kind of refund in any situation, it is worth asking if the airline could try to accommodate the needs of the passenger.
When a refund is requested, you have to provide specific documentation confirming your inability to travel. After submitting this information to the eSky office, our employees will contact the airline.
The Terms and Conditions of air tickets purchased for regularly scheduled flights strictly define the situations in which it is possible to give up your seat and the type of refund in such cases.
For most airlines, not all, even if the Terms and Conditions do not provide refunds for the flight fare, you can still try to recover the taxes and charges. This is generally only possible when you don’t use the entire flight. However, even if you use only part of your connections, getting a refund of the unused portion of airport charges and fees can be difficult or impossible.
- For a seamless refund of airport fees and charges, your inability to board the flight should be notified prior to scheduled departure.
- Aside from reimbursement of airport taxes and charges, some airlines also offer reimbursement of the transportation fare (both full and partial).
- You can report the inability to board a flight to the Customer Service Attention Center.
- In some airlines, it is possible to receive a refund of an air ticket during the day of the issue. This operation requires contacting the Customer Service Attention Center. As of the day after the air ticket is issued, air tickets for regularly scheduled flights can be returned only in the cases provided for in the Fare Terms and Conditions.
- Some fares on specific routes offer a full refund in the event that the visa is denied. To find out if an air ticket of your interest offers such a refund, contact the Customer Service Attention Center.
The best way to protect yourself against losing money in such cases is to purchase flight insurance. Insurance for the reimbursement of costs related to flight cancellations can be purchased in the “Insurance” section of our website.
This insurance must be purchased within 48 hours after the purchase of your flight, and the reimbursed costs reach a maximum amount of 5000 euros.